Update 9:30 Wednesday 12th April:
The Club has been advised that the engineering computation for repair to the 3 piles (only) was based on a maximum load for a 20 tonne truck with a 10 tonne axle load driven at 10 kph.
Vehicles complying with these load limits may recommence use of the bridge effective tomorrow, Thursday 13th April.
Update 18:30 Tuesday 4th April:
It has been confirmed that the necessary repairs to Cygnet Bridge were completed today.
Following advice from GHD, vehicles up to and including SUV/utility weight may recommence use of the bridge with effect from Thursday, 6th April.
However, heavier vehicles and heavy equipment will not be permitted to use the bridge until further notice. Parks Victoria and contractors to the Club will be notified separately, and subsequently informed when it is considered appropriate for such vehicles to be granted access.
Update 18:15 Thursday 30th March:
Significant progress has been made in discussion with the Club’s consultants and contractors on the repairs required to the bridge so that the Committee is now hopeful that the repairs will be completed by the end of next week.
Naturally, with a project of this sort, no guarantees can be given in regard to timing but, with a bit of good fortune, the Club will be in a position to be in full operation for the anticipated busy period over Easter.
Original posting Thursday 23rd March:
The Club has recently engaged GHD and Elstone Diving Services to undertake an inspection of the north and south wharves and Cygnet Bridge.
An inspection of Cygnet Bridge this morning (Thursday 23rd March) has revealed severe instability of a number of piles and the Club has been advised that the bridge is no longer safe.
A decision has therefore been made to close the bridge with immediate effect. There will be no road access to the clubhouse and grounds until the problem has been rectified.
The gate to the causeway will be closed and the Department of Defence informed that no road access to the club is to be allowed. Access by boat or dinghy will still be possible.
It is hoped that any inconvenience will be as short lived as possible but the safety of members and other road users is the Club's priority. Members will be advised as the matter is progressed.
For further information please contact either John Mooney, Commodore (0403 065 590) or Doug Curlewis, Chairman Wharf Management Committee (0418 995 991).
Last Modified on 12/04/2017 09:24